Legal Help

Where can I get legal advice?

  • Attorneys.  Only an attorney is authorized to give you legal advice regarding a bankruptcy case or proceeding.  Located in the menu bar to the right is a quick list of resources you might use to find an attorney.
  • Bankruptcy Help Desk.  Volunteer attorneys provide assistance to Chapter 7 debtors, or people considering filing Chapter 7 bankruptcy, who wish to proceed pro se(without an attorney to represent them).  The Help Desk is open in Milwaukee on Thursdays, from 9:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m., in Room 153 of the U.S. Courthouse.  
    Starting in July, the Milwaukee location now offers services for Spanish-speaking debtors on the LAST Thursday of every month.For assistance and referral to an attorney who may be able to assist you in the Green Bay area, please contact Ms. Eileen Hermus-Gossen at the FISC Green Bay office at 920 569-8596.
    Servicios de habla hispana
    Abogados voluntarios proveen asistencia a los deudores de capítulo 7, o a las personas considerando llenar el capítulo 7 de bancarrota, que deseen continuar pro se (sin un abogado que los represente). El Centro de Ayuda está abierto los jueves, de 9:00 am a 10:30 am, en la Sala 153 del Palacio de Justicia de EE.UU., y ofrece servicios en español el último jueves de cada mes.
  • Bankruptcy Books.  There are a number of excellent books available for learning the basics of filing bankruptcy.  While we cannot endorse a particular book, we recommend that you consult with your librarian or local bookstore.

Milwaukee Bar Association

State Bar of Wisconsin

Legal Explorer

Bankruptcy Pro Bono Resource Locator

MBA/VLP Bankruptcy Pro Bono Project


The Clerk's Office cannot offer legal advice or guide you in filling out your bankruptcy forms or schedules.  The Clerk's Office can assist you with tools and forms that you may need to file bankruptcy.  The Clerk's Office is located at 517 E. Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53202.  We are open from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday.  We are closed on all Federal holidays.

Petition preparers are not authorized to give debtors legal advice.

Most of the required bankruptcy forms are available for free, and most are in pdf-fillable form on this website so that they can be completed using a keyboard.  If you do not have a computer, check at the Clerk's intake counter regarding the availability of a computer, free of charge, for the purpose of filling out the required forms.